Faculty Speaker Program
Dedicated to bringing the best of Smith College to your hometown, the Office of Alumnae Relations (OAR) Faculty Speakers Program is one of our most popular outreach programs. It has enabled Smith clubs and groups all over the United States and abroad to engage with outstanding faculty, administrators, alumnae, and students on a broad range of topics in a wide selection of disciplines.
Questions, ideas, or comments about the Faculty Speaker Program? Contact Annie Croteau, Program Coordinator for Alumnae Engagement, at 800-526-2023, ext. 4 or email@example.com.
GUIDELINES FOR CLUBS
First, check with the OAR to see if Smith is already planning on bringing faculty to your area during the year. If not, you are invited to request one faculty visit per academic year.
Some guidelines to keep in mind when you are requesting a speaker:
- The OAR can only cover the expenses of faculty on the program list that you arrange through our office. Invitations made independently or outside of this list will not be reimbursed.
- Clubs may request one speaker per academic year.
- The minimum attendance required to host a faculty speaker is 25 alumnae and guests.
- Deadline to submit your request: August 31st, for fall event, November 15th for winter or spring event.
- The OAR will assist clubs with finding and confirming faculty speakers. Please contact the OAR—not the speaker—so arrangements and expenses are accounted for.
- The OAR will contact the faculty with the initial invitation and potential dates. If the faculty agrees, we will put the club event coordinator directly in touch with the faculty member to make final plans.
- All arrangements after initial contact are to be made between the speaker and the club/group.
- It is the responsibility of the club to keep the speaker and the OAR informed about program plans.
- The OAR provides for round-trip air travel, ground transportation, and overnight accommodations for speakers, provided that you have made arrangements through the OAR.
- The Club is responsible for making arrangements and for costs associated with the event, such as food and beverages, venue rental, audio-visual, invitations.
- The local club will promote the event, send out invitations (printed and/or electronic) and take RSVP's. We strongly encourage clubs to contact other clubs and affinity groups in their area in the spirit of collaboration and inclusivity.
- Please send a copy of the invitation to the OAR.
- The AASC can help send out your invitation by broadcast e-mail and provide a list of alumnae and mailing addresses.
EVENT CONFIRMATION WITH SPEAKER
- Send a letter/email to the faculty member confirming their agreement to speak.
- Communicate event schedule to speaker and send a copy of the invitation.
- Ask if the speaker requires any audio or visual equipment or a special set-up.
- Ask how the speaker would like to be introduced and assign a volunteer to formally introduce the speaker to the audience.
- Offer to transport the speaker to/from the airport or hotel to the event venue.
- Send a thank-you letter following the presentation.
- The OAR would like to receive feedback on your program. Please feel out the post-event evaluation form after the event, and include a list of attendees.
SPEAKER and TOPIC
The list of faculty speakers interested in participating in this program is available below.
Speaker availability varies depending upon prior commitments and other factors. Requests are filled accordingly.
To request a speaker please use this speaker request form
The club should consider playing the Women for the World campaign video to alumnae present at the Faculty Speaker Event. Here's the link to the video http://www.smith.edu/giving/
campaign.php . The digital file can be requested by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
FIND A SPEAKER
The list will be available in mid-August 2013.