Through our continued efforts to meet your career management needs, the Smith College Office of Alumnae Relations has partnered with CareerBeam to bring you the best career development information, and the best company and industry research tools, available in the market. The Career Success Center has a career development seminar series that has assessments, professional resume and cover letter builders, and search strategy resources for you. Just a few highlights and features now available to you include:
- Identify professional direction and explore careers through career assessments
- Create your resume
- Write a cover letter
- Prepare for an interview
- Generate a network and develop a list of networking questions
- Organize, manage, and implement your job search
- Research and find domestic and international companies and recruiters
To self-register and begin using our Career Success Center, click here.
Watch our recorded webinar on an Introduction to CareerBeam here.
The Office of Alumnae Relations is currently undergoing a review of its career programming. Career advising for alumnae who graduated more than 5 years ago is on a temporary hold. Thank you for your patience during this time.
The Lazarus Center for Career Development continues to offer career-related services to alumnae up to five years out. You may request individualized advising appointments in addition to having continued access to extensive industry programs, career resources, job and internship opportunities, graduate school information, recruiting, and career fairs. Make an appointment today by calling (413) 585-2582
Handshake – The Lazarus Center’s database of jobs and internships. Request a free account and browse thousands of job, internship and fellowship opportunities! Alums may also post positions at their organizations. Register for a free account
Writing Your Resume (PDF)
Executive Level Resumes (PDF)
Ace the Interview (PDF)
PayScale.com Salary Negotiation Guide
Not only can PayScale tell you how much you should earn, we can help you negotiate your salary too. We’ve teamed up with career and finance experts to answer your questions about salary negotiation. We give you the data and break everything down into three easy steps – Research, Strategize, Negotiate – so that you can prepare yourself for salary success.
GlassDoor Salaries – See what employees earn at over 180,000 companies worldwide, learn what kind of salary to expect for any job in any location, and get the full compensation picture with tips and bonuses, as well as benefits.
ADP’s Salary Paycheck Calculator – This tool will help you estimate your actual take-home pay per paycheck based upon your gross salary, state and local taxes, and tax withholding status.
Connecting with Alumnae
How to Use the LinkedIn Alumni Tool – LinkedIn has an incredibly useful and user-friendly tool to help you connect with over 28,000 alumnae, read this article and start connecting today.
Promote your opportunities to recent graduates and Smith students by posting to Handshake, our internship and job database. This service is free to employers.
In addition to reaching Smith’s student community, internship and job opportunities posted in Handshake are shared with our partners at Amherst College and Mount Holyoke College, and selected postings may be shared with other recruiting consortium college partners.
- Learn, Work, Lead: Things Your Mentor Won’t Tell You by Terri Tierney Clark ’81
- Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success by Penelope Trunk
- Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life by Gregg Levoy
- Career Coach: Getting the Right Job Right Now! by Linda Conklin
- Career Match: Connecting Who You Are with What You’ll Love to Do by Shoya Zichy and Ann Bidou
- Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love by Jonathan Fields
- Coach Yourself to a New Career: 7 Steps to Reinventing Your Professional Life by Talane Miedaner
- Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You through the Secrets of Personality Type by Paul Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger
- Free To Succeed: Design the Life You Want in the New Free Agent Economy by Barbara Reinhold
- Get The Job You Want, Even When No One’s Hiring by Ford R. Myers
- Look Me Up: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter & Social Networking Yourself to Job Search Success by Jeff Altman
- Really Useful Job Search Tactics: A Handbook of Contemporary Job Hunting Techniques by Rick Gillis
- Secrets of the Hidden Job Market: Change Your Thinking to Get the Job of Your Dreams by Janet White
- StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath
- They Don’t Teach Corporate In College: A Twenty-Something’s Guide to the Business World by Alexandra Levit
- Learn, Work, Lead: Things Your Mentor Won’t Tell You by Terri Tierney Clark
- Back on the Career Track: A Guide for Stay-at-Home Moms Who Want to Return to Work by Carol Fishman Cohen and Vivian Steir Rabin
- Going Back to Work: A Survival Guide for Comeback Moms by Mary W. Quigley and Loretta E. Kaufman
- How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life by Joanna Barsh and Susie Cranston
- It’s Not a Glass Ceiling, It’s a Sticky Floor: Free Yourself from the Hidden Behaviors Sabotaging Your Career Success by Rebecca Shambaugh
- Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office: Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers by Lois P. Frankel
- Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life by Barbara Stanny
- Women Don’t Ask: The High Cost of Avoiding Negotiation–and Positive Strategies for Change by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever
- Birthing the Elephant: The Woman’s Go-For-It Guide to Overcoming the Big Challenges of Launching a Business by Karin Abarbanel and Bruce Freeman
- Entrepreneurship: Successfully Launching New Ventures by Bruce Barringer and Duane Ireland
- Entrepreneurship: A Process Perspective by Robert A. Baron and Scott A. Shane
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship by Peter Drucker
- The Girl’s Guide to Starting Your Own Business by Caitlin Friedman and Kimberly Yorio
- The Profitable Artist by Artspire and the New York Foundation for the Arts
- Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0: How to Stand Out from the Crowd and Tap Into the Hidden Job Market using Social Media and 999 other Tactics Today by Jay Conrad Levinson and David E. Perry
- A Foot in the Door: Networking Your Way into the Hidden Job Market by Katharine Hansen
- Highly Effective Networking: Meet the Right People and Get a Great Job by Orville Pierson