- Graduate school can be a good time to have kids because you’ll often have flexible hours and the ability to work from home. I had my first son seven months before I defended my Ph.D.
- If you find out that your job does not truly support families (versus what they said when you interviewed), start looking for a new one.
- Find or create good support systems, both personal and professional.
- Hide from your kids in the bathroom and eat cookies.
- Hide from your kids in your bedroom and eat cookies.
- Hide from your kids in [your sanctuary of choice], lock the door and just have silence for a split second.
—Michele Wrabel Guannel ’97, two children, 6 months and 3
“What is absolutely critical in raising children or running a business—or whatever—is a sense of humor. If you can’t find the humor in what is thrown at you on a daily basis, you will go nuts.”
—Carolyn Brodsky ’80
SAQ, Winter 2015–16