Delve into the lush Amazon River Basin and the legendary “lost city of Incas,” Machu Picchu on this 13-day custom-designed land and river cruise expedition. Join Donald Joraleman, Professor of Anthropology, on this unforgettable journey featuring a five-night natural history cruise aboard the deluxe, all-Suite MV Zafiro. This shared departure with Dartmouth alumni travelers, also features guest faculty Nathaniel J. Dominy, the Charles Hansen Professor of Anthropology and Professor in the Ecology, Evolution, Ecosystems and Society (EEES) Graduate Program at Dartmouth College.
Cruise through one of our planet’s largest rainforest ecosystems, where numerous species have yet to be classified or even discovered. Led by expert Peruvian naturalists, explore the boundless diversity of nature’s most wondrous offerings from delicate orchids to glass frogs and pink river dolphins. Visit local villages to observe the traditional way of life of the ribereños (river people). In the Urubamba Valley, visit the terraced Inca fortress of Ollanytaytambo, historic Cuzco, the ancient Inca capital and Machu Picchu, a mysterious engineering marvel perched on the Andes.
Enroll early to save $1,000 per person when booked by September 6, 2019.
Download the full trip brochure
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage site of Machu Picchu and uncover breathtaking views in the Sacred Valley
- Journey through black water rivers and virgin rainforests on naturalist-led small boat excursions
- Visit a butterfly conservation farm owned and operated by local ribereños
- Delight in a cooking demonstration of Amazonian specialties in a local village
Smith Faculty SpeakerDonald Joralemon
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 13 Days
- Activity Level: Active; Many of the cities and towns being visited were founded centuries ago, and the terrain is rugged. Therefore, a fair amount of walking on dirt or muddy trails or uneven and/or slippery terrain may occur, and may require walking up river embankments with minimal assistance in warm or hot temperatures. Walking excursions often cover distances of at least one mile/ 1.6 km and are approximately three hours in length. Please be advised that passengers will tender ashore by small boat. Cuzco, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu are located at high altitudes (11,700 feet above sea level in Cuzco and 8,200 in Machu Picchu).
- Cost: From $6,995 per person, based on double occupancy. Save $1,000 per person when booked by September 6, 2019
- Single Supplement: $5,000 per person (limited availability)
- Deposit: $600 per person, payable to Gohagan & Company
- On-tour Air: Inter-Peruvian air included
- Co-Sponsors: Dartmouth College
- Optional Extensions: An optional two-day pre-tour extension to Lima is available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.