Luxuriate in a 1916 plantation-style mansion in the Reed’s Island neighborhood of the town of Hilo, known for its rainforest-like climate and as the place where Hawaiian royalty once made their homes. Enjoy your own private waterfall amid lush bamboo, palm and mango groves. From this tranquil base, explore the Big Island’s dramatic, often lunar-like landscape, featuring Volcanoes National Park, where you’ll witness the eruption of Kilauea Volcano, one of the longest-erupting volcanoes in history, active since 1983. Go atop Mauna Kea to the Imiloa Astronomy Center and planetarium, which houses 13 of the most advanced telescopes in the world. Tour the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden, where more than 2,000 species of exotic plants thrive in a valley that functions as a natural greenhouse. Discover the sublime Waipio Valley, known as the location of the ancient grass palace of Hawaiian kings and celebrated for Hiilawe Falls, the island’s tallest waterfall.
Download the full trip brochure
- Relax on the beautiful beaches of Kona
- Marvel at sunset views of the pink-and-gold eruptions of the Halema’uma’u Crater
- Meet with the director of the College of Hawaiian Language for a private introduction to the Hawaiian tongue
Smith Faculty SpeakerSuzan Edwards, L. Clarke Seelye Professor of Astronomy
- Duration: 6 days
- Activity Level: Mild to moderate
- Cost: From $2,390 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $890 per person
- Deposit: $700 per person, payable to China Advocates
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.