Delve into the history of the South and the legacy of the American Civil War as you cruise the Mississippi River aboard the luxury steamboat, American Queen. Your journey will begin in Memphis, home to such icons of American music as Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and B.B. King, and still the center of a thriving music scene. Next, you’ll step into the depths of the War Between the States at former battlefields Shiloh National Military Park and Vicksburg National Military Park. Travel further south and revel in the antebellum splendor of Natchez, Mississippi and its many restored mansions and plush, countryside plantations, then on to Baton Rouge, the vibrant capital of Louisiana. End your steamboat adventure in the legendary city of New Orleans, with its historic neighborhoods, exciting jazz clubs and nightlife and world-renowned cuisine.
Download the full trip brochure
- Vicksburg National Military Park, commemorating a 47-day siege in 1863
- Houmas House Plantation, built in 1840, the “Crown Jewel of Louisiana’s River Road”
- St. Francisville, Louisiana, cultural and commercial capital of “Plantation Country”
Smith Faculty SpeakerTo be determined
- Duration: 10 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: From $2,749 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $3,799 per person
- Deposit: $600 per person, payable to GoNext
- Co-Sponsors: Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, University of North Carolina, University of Virginia, Tufts, Emory, William & Mary, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, and Georgia Tech
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.