Spend twelve rewarding days immersed in “one of the happiest countries on Earth”, Costa Rica. In this small Central American democracy kissed by nature, alumnae will discover a nation’s wealth in four distinct regions, from cloud forest to rain forest, Central Valley to Pacific Coast. Experience Costa Rica’s staggering display of bio-diversity – pristine landscapes, unique microclimates, exotic flora and fauna – we enjoy a relaxed yet comprehensive exploration of the country’s wide-ranging natural resources. Our journey begins in San José with excursions throughout the Central Valley to Poas Volcano National Park, including by an in-depth lesson in Costa Rica’s famed coffee industry at Doka Coffee Estate. Our guided excursions will deepen our appreciation of how the region is home to five percent of the world’s species within its 800 miles of coastline. Space is limited to just 18 travelers!
Download the full trip brochure
- Enjoy traveling through the Central Valley to Poas Volcano Park and view the world’s largest crater, a steaming, bubbling caldron
- Visit a family-owned Botanical Orchid Garden in Carrizal, featuring tropical trails and exhibits dedicated to the wondrous orchid plant and its many varieties
- Take a trip to a local elementary school to enjoy a cultural exchange with children and learn about Costa Rica’s exalted educational system which boasts of more than 95% literacy rate
- Embark on a float safari on the Peñas Blancas River followed by a night viewing of the Arenal Volcano from a comfortable vantage point at the hotel
- Travel to the “green cathedral” of Monteverde’s Cloud Forest to enjoy the diverse wildlife and biological reserve complex—the Hummingbird Gallery, the Bat Jungle, the hanging bridges Sky Walk, or spend some leisure time to relax in the tranquil setting
- Set out on a float safari down the Tempisque River for a unique look at the Palo Verde region, one the best examples of tropical dry forests that remains in the world
Smith Faculty SpeakerAlice Hearst, professor of Government
- Duration: 12 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: From $3,681 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $895 per person
- Deposit: $500 per person, payable to Odysseys Unlimited, Inc.
- On-tour Air: Roundtrip airfare is included from Miami; prices for other departures are available
- Optional Extensions: A four-day post-tour extension to Tortuguero National Park is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.