Between Prague, fairy tale city of spires and domes, and dynamic, reunited Berlin, the gentle Elbe River traverses a landscape of idyllic green countryside and spectacular gorges, overlaid by the broad sweep of history: medieval cobblestone old towns, the Wittenberg church where Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses, historic Jewish synagogues and cemeteries; World War II memorials; and Prague’s Wenceslas Square, ground zero of the Velvet Revolution. There are also many riches to behold, from springtime fields of bright yellow rapeseed blooms and fragrant lilacs, to the sparkling treasures of the Green Vault; the art collection at the Zwinger museum; books at the Strahov Monastery; and the lavish palace and delightful gardens of Sanssouci. The highlights of a vibrant, modern Berlin with its evocative monuments and memorials can be explored on a three-night extension.
Download the full trip brochure
- Glide serenely through the idyllic green countryside that lines the Elbe River aboard the new 40-cabin MS Elbe Princesse
- Savor an elegant dinner and private musical performance in one of Prague’s historic castles
- In Potsdam stroll the fanciful gardens of Sanssouci Palace and explore the Cecilienhof Palace, where Truman, Churchill, and Stalin met in 1945 to redesign the map of Europe
- Marvel at the glittering treasures of the Green Vault and the incredible collection of Old Masters at the Zwinger Museum in Dresden
- Explore Wittenberg and its Castle Church during the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther’s 95 Theses
- Enjoy lectures by faculty from Smith College, Yale, and Harvard University
Smith Faculty SpeakerJocelyne Kolb, Ph.D., professor of German Studies at Smith College
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 12 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: From $6,990 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $1,750 per person
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to Criterion Travel
- Co-Sponsors: Yale, Harvard, and The National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Optional Extensions: An optional three-night post-tour extension to Berlin is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.