The great cities of the South possess a character unlike any other region of the United States. Savannah, Charleston, and Beaufort are world-renowned for their stately homes, expansive plantations, and enduring history. Indeed, their historic districts—lined with verdant squares, trickling fountains, and stately architecture—are considered to be among the largest and loveliest in the country. Wilmington and New Bern, North Carolina, were both flourishing cities in the 18th and 19th centuries, and their antebellum structures attest to an era of prosperity and gracious charm. Colonial Williamsburg transports visitors even further back in American history, to a time when the Virginia Colony was the center of commerce, politics, and culture.
Our springtime voyage sails from Savannah to Washington, D.C., exploring these historic cities of the sea. This unique opportunity to discover by sea such an integral corner of our country, including its plantations, historic homes, and formal gardens, is taking place at an ideal time of year, when the South becomes a lush garden and temperatures are mild. Join us in mid-April for a journey that reveals the genteel splendor and natural beauty of the antebellum South.
Download the full trip brochure
- Tour Tryon Palace and Gardens in New Bern, featuring 16 acres of gardens representing the style of the Victorian era
- In Savannah, explore the largest historic district in the United States, which preserves hundreds of superb 18th- and 19th-century buildings exemplifying antebellum architecture
- Enjoy an excursion to historic Shirley Plantation, Virginia’s first plantation and one of the oldest family-owned businesses in America, and Berkeley Plantation, built on the site of the first Thanksgiving and housing a magnificent collection of 18th-century antiques
Smith Faculty SpeakerMartin Antonetti, lecturer in art and curator of rare books, and Nina Antonetti, assistant professor of landscape studies
- Duration: 11 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: From $4,495 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $1,295 per person
- Deposit: $750 per person, payable to Travel Dynamics International
- Optional Extensions: A post-tour cruise of the Eastern Seaboard is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.