Join us for an exclusive small ship voyage to Scotland’s remote, verdant and storied lands of the Inner Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland Islands—all linked by a fascinating Viking heritage. Cruise from Glasgow, Scotland, to Copenhagen, Denmark, aboard the five-star M.S. L’Austral, featuring spacious, all ocean-view stateroom or suite accommodations. Explore the spectacular landscapes as the Vikings did, cruising into ports accessible only to small ships. Enjoy excursions through the Scottish Highlands on the Jacobite steam train, to Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands, prehistoric Jarlshof in the Shetland Islands, and the UNESCO World heritage sites of Orkney’s Neolithic Ring of Brodgar and Skara Brae, including a special presentation by local archaeologist and site director Nick Card. Along the way savor fine international and regional cuisine, complimentary beverages and traditional Scottish entertainment. A Glasgow/Edinburgh pre-cruise option and Copenhagen post-cruise option are available.
Download the full trip brochure
- Enjoy a full-day journey through the picturesque heart of the Scottish Highlands
- Cruise the scenic coastline of the Isle of Skye, stopping to visit Armadale Castle and its spectacular gardens
- Walk through medieval Kirkwall, featuring the Viking-built St. Magnus Cathedral, and hear the melodies of a traditional Scottish bagpiper
- Stroll along Bergen’s old wharf, the Bryggen, a UNESCO World Heritage site that hearkens back to the city’s historical role as one of Europe’s oldest trading ports
Smith Faculty SpeakerCraig Davis, Ph.D., Professor of English Language and Literature
- Duration: 8 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active. All participants should be in good health, physically fit and capable of walking approximately one to two miles per day, sometimes over uneven terrain, including dirt and cobblestoned paths.
- Cost: From $4,495 per person, based on double occupancy* (*An early booking discount is available for reservations made by February 29, 2016.)
- Single Supplement: From $5,800 per person (limited availability)
- Deposit: $800 per person, payable to Thomas P. Gohagan & Company
- Co-Sponsors: Dartmouth, Skidmore, Virginia Tech and Williams colleges, and the Smithsonian Institution
- Optional Extensions: A pre-program extension to Edinburgh and Glasgow, and a post-program extension to Copenhagen are available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.