Take in a jumble of sights, sounds and tastes on this small group itinerary off the beaten path in Tokyo and Kyoto. Experience the local culture, bustling commerce, rich traditions and dizzying modernity of these unforgettable cities. From visits to the famed Meiji Shrine and the Imperial Palace District to the Ginza shopping and entertainment district, you’ll experience firsthand how the Japanese have skillfully merged the old and the new. View the imposing Mount Fuji at the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park, and then spend the night in Suwa at a ryokan, a traditional Japanese inn. In Kanazawa, tour the renowned Kenrokuen Garden and the Hakukokan Gold Leaf Museum. Experience the highlights of Kyoto, Japan’s Imperial Capital, with a visit to the Ryoan-ji Temple and Kodai-ji Temple, where you’ll enjoy a traditional tea ceremony. Enjoy leisure time interspersed throughout for your independent exploration. An optional post-tour extension offers sightseeing in Hiroshima, a city reborn after World War II.
Download the full trip brochure
- Explore Takayama’s San-machi-suji district’s small inns, teahouses, temples and sake breweries, some of which have operated for centuries
- Savor the sights at the Miyagawa Morning Market, with stalls selling everything form fruits to flowers, fish and crafts
- Tour the UNESCO World Heritage site of Shirakawago and visit the Miboro Dam, Japan’s first and largest dam constructed using rock-fill technology
- Bicycle through Kyoto Imperial Park and Nishiki Market
Smith Faculty SpeakerTom Rohlich, Professor Emeritus of East Asian Languages and Literature
- Duration: 12 days
- Activity Level: Moderately Active
- Cost: From $4,991 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: To be confirmed
- Deposit: $500 per person, payable to Odysseys Unlimited, Inc.
- On-tour Air: Roundtrip airfare is included from Los Angeles or San Francisco; prices for other departures are available
- Co-Sponsors: This is a Smith-only departure.
- Optional Extensions: An optional three day post-tour extension to Hiroshima: City of Peace is available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.