Become immersed in the local life and culture of this fascinating land of delicate art and bustling commerce, of rich traditions and dizzying modernity. Take in a jumble of sights, sounds and tastes on this exclusive, small-group tour as you explore highlights of Tokyo and Kyoto, and go off the beaten path to the historic cities of Takayama and Kanazawa. Journeys to the Mt. Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park and the Japanese Alps offer panoramic views of Japan’s breathtaking scenery, and a full day in Kyoto showcases the country’s compelling cultural and artistic heritage.
Download the full trip brochure
- Tour Tokyo’s top sites, including the Shinto Meiji Shrine and historic Imperial Palace
- Spend the night at a "ryokan," a traditional Japanese inn
- Explore Takayama’s authentically preserved small inns, teahouses and sake breweries
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site of Shirakawa-go and see the Miboro Dam, the largest dam constructed using rock-fill technology
- Stop at the lakeside Temple of the Golden Pavilion and Nijo Castle
Smith Faculty SpeakerJohn Brady, Mary Elizabeth Moses Professor of Geosciences
- Duration: 13 days
- Activity Level: Active; There is a significant amount of walking
- Cost: From $5,691 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $1,195 per person
- Deposit: $500 per person, payable to Odysseys Unlimited Inc.
- On-tour Air: Roundtrip airfare is included from Los Angeles, San Fransisco; prices for other departures are available
- Optional Extensions: A three-day post-tour extension to Hiroshima is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.