Cruise through the Inland Sea and the Sea of Japan on a delightful nine-day springtime tour, with time ashore in Kyoto and Tokyo. This small nation of nearly 7,000 islands is wonderfully suited for exploration by the 114-passenger Caledonian Sky, which conveys passengers comfortably to a fascinating variety of tranquil towns, artistic centers and remote islands. Venture beyond the bustle of Tokyo and Kyoto to the historic quarters of Hagi and Matsue, the cultured arts center of Kanazawa and the charming islands of Naoshima, Miyajima and Sado. Excursions highlight both ancient traditions—sacred temples and shrines, celebrated gardens and castles and private cultural performances—and the cutting-edge modern arts and architecture of the Miho Museum, Benesse Art Site and the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art. Learn about a geisha’s life in Kyoto, take part in a taiko drum workshop with the Kodo Drummers at their home base on Sado Island and meet a kabuki actor in Tokyo.
Download the full trip brochure
- Discover the world of kabuki during a private demonstration in Tokyo
- View beautiful Japanese landscapes at their springtime peak, including a magical bamboo forest, richly textured moss garden and a breathtaking dry Zen rock garden
- Visit Gion, Kyoto’s exclusive geisha district, and learn about the life and training of a geisha
- Enjoy a Japanese tea ceremony and performances of the classical dance-drama known as kabuki and bugaku, a traditional dance marked by regal movements
- Ride Japan’s high-speed rail (the shinkansen, or “bullet train”)
Smith Faculty SpeakerTom Rohlich, Professor Emeritus of East Asian Languages and Literatures
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 14 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active; see brochure for more details
- Cost: From $9,990 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $7,000 per person (limited availability)
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to Criterion Travel
- Co-Sponsors: Archaeological Institute of America, MIT, Harvard, Yale and the National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Optional Extensions: An optional six-day pre-tour extension to Kii Peninsula and Iya Valley, and an optional four-day post-tour extension to Kamakura and Hakone are available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.