Join alumni/ae and families from Smith College and Dartmouth on this co-sponsored trip to Japan, led by Smith College Professor of English Language & Literature and American Studies, Floyd Cheung, and Dartmouth Associate Professor of Religion, Gil Raz. A delight for adults and children alike, you’ll enjoy visiting some of the most fascinating sites in Japan. In Tokyo, you’ll experience the new and the old: Ancient temples contrasted with modern skyscrapers; quiet streets and fantastic districts featuring electronics shops with anime and manga for the kids and high end boutiques for the adults. Relax aboard local trains as you journey to the mountainous town of Hakone, known for its hot springs and spectacular views of the iconic Mt. Fuji. Savor a traditional Kaiseki dinner your first evening, followed by a relaxing cruise along Lake Ashi. Board the Shinkansen bullet train to arrive in Japan’s most beautiful city—Kyoto. Here you’ll tour beautiful temples and a museum of traditional arts and crafts, as well at the castle used to film The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise. Extend your stay for an additional four days touring Nara, Hiroshima, and Kobe; a special delight that will ensure memories to share for the years to come.
Download the full trip brochure
- Enjoy the breathtaking skyline views at the Tokyo City Observatory
- Walk through the Akihabara also known as “Electric Town” and explore the manga (Japanese comic) market
- Visit the Tokyo National Museum, established in 1872 and one of the largest museums in the world
- Embark on a boat ride on Lake Ashi with an iconic view of Mt. Fuji which will stay with you as a souvenir of this experience
- Tour Kinkakuji Temple, the Golden Pavilion, an exquisite pavilion surrounded by a beautiful pond
- Visit Nijo Castle, built for the first Shogun in 1603, where "The Last Samurai" was filmed
Smith Faculty SpeakerFloyd Cheung, Professor of English Language & Literature and American Studies
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 9 days
- Activity Level: Very active; There will be a lot of walking on this trip and stairs to climb up into shrines, as well as a half day of hiking in the Hakone area.
- Cost: $4,995 per person, double occupancy; Children 17 & under: $4,695 per person, double occupancy; Receive an early booking discount of $100 per person when booked before December 31, 2017
- Single Supplement: $1,155 per person
- Deposit: $700 per person, payable to Asia Sublime Travel, Inc.
- Co-Sponsors: Dartmouth Alumni Travel
- Optional Extensions: A four-day post-tour extension is available to Nara, Hiroshima and Kobe is available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.