Discover the rich natural and cultural heritage of southern Africa, exploring both the country’s incredible wildlife as well as its vibrant city life. On five nights of safari at the Thornybush Nature Reserve and Hwange and Chobe national parks, experience the thrill of up-close encounters with lions, elephants, leopards, rhinos and other majestic animals in their native habitat—all under the guidance of expert trackers. Travel through Soweto, home of Nobel laureates Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu, and learn about South Africa’s hope for opportunity after its era of apartheid. Visits to South Africa’s oldest city of Cape Town, juxtaposed with the bustling financial center of Johannesburg, round out the picture of this country’s incredible progress. A pre-trip extension in Cape Town, with stops in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, is available.
Download the full trip brochure
- Enjoy the highlights of Cape Town, including centuries-old Cape Dutch houses, beautiful gardens and a busy waterfront with inviting cafés and boutiques.
- Explore the Cape Peninsula, part of the Cape Floral Region, which is considered to have the most diverse range of plant life in the world.
- Feel the mist of mighty Victoria Falls, which is twice the height of Niagara Falls and casts a veil of spray that can sometimes be seen up to 50 miles away.
- Experience unsurpassed service, luxurious furnishings, panoramic views and fine dining on a three-day tour aboard the Rovos Rail.
Smith Faculty SpeakerJohn B. Brady, Mary Elizabeth Moses Professor of Geosciences
- Duration: 16 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active.
- Cost: From $6,999 per person, based on double occupancy; *Reserve by August 29, 2017 to receive an early booking discount of $250 per person.
- Single Supplement: From $2,500 per person
- Deposit: $600 per person, payable to AHI Travel
- Co-Sponsors: Douglass College Alumnae Association
- Optional Extensions: An optional two-day pre-tour extension to Cape Town is available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.