Download the full trip brochure
- Enjoy leisure walks along Madeira’s most famous levadas (man-made canals)—the Riberio Frio
- Discover Funchal with a walking tour of the Mercado dos Lavradores museum, a spectacular collection of silver and antiquities, an optional visit to the Museum of Natural History, or a shopping trip at the famous Casa do Turista, a vast collection of genuine Madeiran products including fine wines, exquisite embroidery, ceramics and more
- Experience the high-energy of the Mercado dos Lavradores—the colorful, open-air market featuring island specialties of fresh fish and vegetables, exotic flowers, and local crafts
- Spend time in traditional fishing village of Câmara de Lobos—a location of inspiration for Winston Churchill’s paintings
- Dine at the local favorite restaurant, Almirante, and hear a traditional performance of fado, the hauntingly sad folk music of Portugal
- Appreciate Madeira’s most beautiful parks and Botanical Gardens in Quinta do Palheiro, and admire the spectacular award-winning orchid display at Quinta da Boa Vista
Smith Faculty SpeakerMarguerite Itamar Harrison, Ph.D., associate professor of Portuguese and Brazilian Studies and Pamela Petro, 2016 Lucille Geier Lakes Writer in Residence in the Department of English at Smith College
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 8 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: $4,460 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $980 per person
- Deposit: $500 per person, payable to Discover Europe Ltd.
- On-tour Air: Round-trip air is included from Boston to Madeira
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.