Quintessential hallmarks of the American West are the cornerstones of this extraordinary expedition, like the volcanic caldera of Yellowstone National Park and bison herds roaming Custer State Park. History meets natural, majestic splendor, as an Orbridge Expedition Leader guides you through four of America’s most magnificent national parks. Experience an authentic chuck-wagon cookout, and visit South Dakota’s Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial. See the world’s largest woolly mammoth dig, where scientists are actively excavating the remains of 26,000 year-old mammoths. Geothermal wonders at Yellowstone include Old Faithful and the bubbling, colorful mud pots of the Fountain Paint Pot. Throughout the trip you’ll stay in extraordinary historic lodges—destinations in themselves—that truly define the notion of rustic luxury.
Download the full trip brochure
- Visit the world’s largest woolly mammoth excavation in Hot Springs, South Dakota
- Marvel at the grandeur of Mount Rushmore, one of the world’s largest stone monuments
- Enjoy accommodations in historic lodges including the Game Lodge in Custer State Park; Spearfish Canyon Lodge in South Dakota; Lake Yellowstone Hotel; and Old Faithful Inn, built in 1904
Smith Faculty SpeakerTo be confirmed
- Duration: 10 days
- Activity Level: Easy; the majority of the program’s activities will take place outdoors and a fair amount of walking on varying terrain is to be expected. Many of the parks have dirt trails, but they are usually fairly smooth for walking, some do have paved pathways and boardwalks. It is our expectation that guests on this program are able to walk a mile at a moderate pace, get in and out of a motor coach, and walk up a flight of stairs without assistance. Also keep in mind that you will experience varying altitudes, rising up to 9,000 feet, to which you may not be accustomed.
- Cost: $3,995 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $1,400 per person
- Deposit: $850 per person, payable to Orbridge, LLC.
- Co-Sponsors: Colombia and Georgetown Universities
- Optional Extensions: An optional two-day post-tour extension to Jackson, Wyoming is available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.