Experience the start to a new year like you never imagined, enjoying the festivities, music, carnivals, fireworks and traditions of Cuba on New Year’s Eve and Cuban Liberation Day. To celebrate, Cuban families burn their Año Viejo doll and spill a bucket of water on the street—throwing out the past year’s bad things and ushering in the new. This gesture couldn’t be more symbolic as Cuba embarks on a new relationship with the United States. Travel with Andrew Zimbalist, Robert A. Woods Professor of Economics at Smith College and the former chair of the Cuba Study Group of the Latin American Scholars Association. This unique opportunity will immerse you in the local culture and rhythms of daily life in Cuba. View the architecture, art, landmarks, farms and markets that display the country’s beauty, history, and heritage while you witness this exciting time of change.
Download the full trip brochure
- Enjoy performances and meetings with members of dance, musical, and theatre groups
- Participate in round-table discussions with Cubans from a variety of backgrounds including Rena Perez, an American who spent her adult life in Cuba
- Engage in Cuban culture by playing a game of baseball and learn how to salsa with some local experts before enjoying a traditional pig roast
- Have lunch at the home and studio of artist José Fuster surrounded by his vibrant mosaic sculptures which have transformed this Havana neighborhood, followed by a visit to Ernest Hemingway’s beautifully restored home
- On New Year’s day, visit the west part of Cuba with its jungle-covered summits and continue on to Valle de Vinales, Cuba’s most famous landscape
- Tour the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes accompanied by an art curator who will help us understand Cuba’s major historical events through this fascinating collection of art
Smith Faculty SpeakerAndrew Zimbalist, Robert A. Woods Professor of Economics
- Duration: 8 days
- Activity Level: Moderate
- Cost: $4,780 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $860 per person
- Deposit: $600 per person, payable to Distant Horizons
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.