With its tidy English gardens and untamed wilderness, white-suited lawn bowlers and tattooed Maori elders, austere glacial fiords and boiling volcanic mud pots, New Zealand is a spectacular country of striking contrasts. Join fellow Smith travelers on an exploration of these lush green islands, from Auckland on the North Island to world-famous Milford Sound on the South Island, aboard the Caledonian Sky, an ideal vessel for accessing New Zealand’s islands, fiords, and craggy coastline. Explore the magnificent natural beauty of a remarkable country in the company of an excellent team of lecturers and travelers from Smith, Harvard, Cornell, and Washington and Lee, as well as expert local naturalist and cultural guides.
Download the full trip brochure
- Observe some of the world’s rarest wildlife in their natural settings, including the Royal Albatross
- Marvel at active geothermal pools, sheer granite cliffs punctuated by tumbling waterfalls, and native species on naturalist-led Zodiac expeditions
- Access remote Dusky and Doubtful Sounds plus seldom-visited Stewart Island, New Zealand’s newest national park aboard the luxury expedition ship Caledonian Sky
- Experience a private Maori welcome ceremony, including tribal dances, and see bubbling thermal mud pools in Rotorua
- Visit the unique Hall of Antarctic Discovery at the headquarters for “Operation Deep Freeze” at the Canterbury Museum
Smith Faculty SpeakerRobert Newton, professor of Geosciences
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 12 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active; up to 2 miles of walking often over uneven terrain, or where stairs are unavailable or do not have handrails. Participants will need to climb into and out of Zodiacs for some shore excursions. Participants must be in good health and able to keep up with the group without assistance from tour staff.
- Cost: From $7,990 per person, based on double occupancy; Reserve by June 29, 2018 to receive an early booking discount of $2000 per cabin
- Single Supplement: From $4,190 per person (limited availability)
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to Criterion Travel
- Co-Sponsors: Harvard, Cornell and Washington and Lee Universities
- Optional Extensions: A three-day pre-tour extension to the Bay of Islands, a two-day post-tour extension to Queenstown, and a three-day post-tour extension to Sydney are available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.