Join us on a carefully designed program which focuses on understanding the Civil Rights Movement, one of the most significant influences to shape recent American history. It was a movement that grew over time, through massive grassroots organization, a commitment to achieve racial equality through non-violence, legislative victories, brilliant leadership and collaboration, and the sheer courage and determination of hundreds of thousands of participants. Travel to the sites of the movement–from Selma to the Little Rock High School–and meet with many of the figures who were involved. Framed within the civil rights story are the histories of the music and cuisine of the South. Some of the most inspired traditions were born out of hardship and poverty and today continue to evolve in exciting ways as new populations, ingredients, and instruments influence regional culture. For those interested in social justice today there are great lessons to be learned from earlier struggles in our history where a profound demonstration of passion and commitment, succeeded against all odds.
Download the full trip brochure
- Travel to Little Rock High and meet with one of the Little Rock Nine
- Visit the 16th Street Baptist Church and meet with bombing survivor Dr. Rev. Carolyn McKinstry
- Walk in the path of the foot soldiers in Selma
- Experience a private performance by Blues musician Jesse Robinson
- Tour the former home of Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King in Montgomery
- Enjoy a special briefing at the Equal Justice Initiative
Smith SpeakerTo be confirmed
- Duration: 8 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active; participants must be able to walk for long distances and up and down stairs without problems
- Cost: $3,750 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $910 per person (limited availability)
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to Distant Horizons
- Co-Sponsors: This is a Smith-only departure
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.