Join us for this nine-day journey through the mighty locks of the Panama Canal to the Costa Rican rainforest. Cruise for seven nights from Colón, Panama, to Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica, aboard the exclusively chartered, five-star Le Champlain, which features a luxury, multisensory underwater observatory. Experience a daylight passage through the awe-inspiring Panama Canal and visit the San Blas Islands, where indigenous Guna people have maintained their traditional lifestyle for centuries. Tour Panama City, including Casco Antiguo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Explore the wide array of wildlife at Curú National Wildlife Refuge, home to the rare scarlet macaw and spider monkey. Enjoy exclusive lectures by on-board study leaders throughout the itinerary. Extend your stay with the Dynamic Panama Pre-Program and Costa Rica’s Cloud Forests and Volcanoes Post-Program options.
Download the full trip brochure
- Explore Panama City’s Frank Gehry-designed biodiversity museum and learn about the canal’s marvel of modern engineering at the Miraflores Visitor Center.
- Visit the pristine Isla Cébaco, where you can swim and snorkel among colorful marine life.
- Experience the stunning and biodiverse Manuel Antonio National Park as an expert naturalist guides you on a trail through the protected rainforest.
- Tour San José, with stops at the National Theater and the National Museum, and stay in the hacienda-style Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San José.
Smith Faculty SpeakerSteven Williams, Gates Professor of Biological Sciences
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 9 days
- Activity Level: Active
- Cost: From approximately $4,995, per person, double occupancy. Reserve by August 6, 2018 to receive an early booking discount of $1,000 per person.
- Single Supplement: From $5,400 per person. Limited availability.
- Deposit: $800 per person, payable to Thomas P. Gohagan & Company
- Co-Sponsors: University of California-Berkeley, Carlton College, Michigan State University, Northwestern University;, Notre Dame University, Ohio State University, Skidmore College, University of Southern California
- Optional Extensions: An optional two-night pre-tour extension to Panama, and a two-night post-tour extension to Costa Rica are available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.