Experience a grand passage through the awe-inspiring Panama Canal and explore the terrestrial wonders of Costa Rica’s national parks and wildlife refuges. Cruise for seven nights from Colón, Panama, to Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica, aboard the exclusively chartered, five-star M.V. Tere Moana. The ship features 44 luxurious, spacious staterooms and underwent a recent multimillion-dollar refurbishment. Visit the San Blas Islands, where the indigenous Guna people have maintained their traditional lifestyle for centuries. Call at the remote island paradise of Isla Coiba, home to the UNESCO World Heritage-designated Coiba National Park, and snorkel at Granito de Oro. Tour Panama City and its historic district, Casco Viejo (old quarter). Learn from onboard study leaders throughout the itinerary. Extend your stay with the Panama Old and New pre-program option and the Costa Rica Cloud Forests and Volcanoes post-program option.
Download the full trip brochure
- Discover Panama City’s new biodiversity museum and learn about the canal’s marvel of modern engineering at the Miraflores Visitor Center
- Visit the Saladero Ecolodge, off the beaten track in the Golfo Dulce-Piedras Blancas National Park
- Walk through the spectacular botanic gardens of Casa Orquideas
- Explore the Curú National Wildlife Refuge on a guided tour to see a wide range of monkeys and hundreds of tropical and migratory birds
Smith Faculty SpeakerGary Lehring, associate professor of government
- Duration: 9 days
- Activity Level: Very active
- Cost: From $5,995 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $3,400 per person
- Deposit: $600 per person, payable to Thomas P. Gohagan & Company
- Co-Sponsors: Dartmouth Alumni Travel and The National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Optional Extensions: A pre-tour extension to Panama and a post-tour extension to Costa Rica’s Cloud Forests and Volcanoes are available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.