For thousands of years, waves of civilizations have passed over the lands of the Mediterranean, leaving their mark. Join President Kathleen McCartney, Professor Susan Etheredge and Professor John Davis aboard the 50-suite Corinthian, sailing to four destinations that are fascinating examples of this complex history. Sardinia is a remarkable island, with more than 7,000 prehistoric sites dating back nearly 4,000 years. In Malta, visit the oldest site on the itinerary—a megalithic temple complex dating from 3150 B.C. Beautifully rugged, Sicily is one of Europe’s most fascinating destinations and the ancestral home of President McCartney’s family. Discover its extraordinary archaeological sites and breathtaking natural beauty. Travel to the ancient site of Selinunte and enjoy Palermo’s tremendous artistic legacy. Conclude your trip with an exciting visit to southern Italy, choosing either an excursion to Pompeii or Paestum, the latter of which is famous for its ancient Doric temples. Start your journey earlier with an optional three-night extension to Pistoia and Florence, which feature a special connection to Smith through internship and study abroad programs.
Download the full trip brochure
- Enjoy the insightful company of Smith President Kathleen McCartney and Smith faculty
- Tour three UNESCO World Heritage Sites: The Bronze Age site of Su Nuraxi in Sardinia; Malta's megalithic temples at Tarxien and Hagar Qim in Malta, and the Roman ruins of Pompeii
- Explore the fascinating Greek ruins at Selinunte in Sicily
- Visit the Cappella Palatina, Palermo's extraordinary chapel
Smith Faculty SpeakerSusan Etheredge, professor and chair of education and child study, and John Davis, Alice Pratt Brown Professor of Art
- Duration: 9 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: From $7,290 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $2,700 per person
- Deposit: $1,500 per person, payable to Travel Dynamics International
- Optional Extensions: A three-night pre-cruise extension to Florence and Pistoia is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.