It is a rare occurrence – only once every ten years – that three of Europe’s top contemporary art fairs align, allowing art lovers to sample all three in one beautiful romp through the Old Continent. Led by Jessica Nicholl ’83, Director and Louise Ines Doyle ’34 Chief Curator of Smith College Museum of Art, this custom-designed art journey connects two great German festivals – documenta 14 in Kassel and the Sculpture Projects Münster – with the always fascinating Venice Biennale for a rich look at the world’s contemporary art scene. The tour begins with four days in the heart of Germany, with a full 1.5 days at the enormous documenta fair, and a full-day excursion to the extensive installations of the sculpture fair in Münster. Other highlights include visiting the top collections in Düssdeldorf. A nonstop flight then carries us to the glittering waters of the Venetian lagoon to begin an in-depth look at the 57th Venice Biennale. Explore the various grounds of the fair, from the Arsenale to the Giardini to the many satellite exhibitions, meeting curators and artists along the way. Other Venice art wonders await you as well, including revered glass artists on Murano and the Prada Foundation’s outstanding Palazzo Corner della Regina. Amidst this overflowing bounty of contemporary art, other special experiences also await – from dinner in a beautiful historic castle in Germany to a delightful gondola ride to a magical after-hours opening of St. Mark’s Basilica in Venice.
Download the full trip brochure
- Gain all-access passes to three world-class art fairs in just over a week, with all the complicated logistics handled for you
- Meet with curators, organizers, and artists to provide additional depth to our days at the art fairs
- Enjoy magical special touches along the way, such as a private dinner in a remarkable private estate outside Kassel and an exclusive after-hours opening of St. Mark’s in Venice
- Stay in fine four-star hotels with excellent locations for making the most of your visits to the three great art fairs
Smith Faculty SpeakerJessica Nicoll '83, Director and Louise Ines Doyle '34 Chief Curator of Museum of Art
- Duration: 12 days
- Activity Level: Moderately to mildly strenuous; ~2 miles of walking per day on average; able to embark and disembark private boats in Venice
- Cost: $6,995 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $1,495 per person
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to International Seminar Design, Inc.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.