From stunning Bilbao to scenic Valencia, with stops at smaller countryside locales off the beaten path, join Smith College Museum of Art Director and Chief Curator Jessica Nicoll ’83 on this custom-designed tour created exclusively for Smith College. Discover the dramatic architecture, high fashion, and impressive art and sculpture that complement the region’s natural landscape, historic sites, culinary favors and craft traditions. Marvel at two architectural gems that have transformed their respective cities—Bilbao’s Museo Guggenheim, designed by Frank Gehry, and Valencia’s City of Arts and Sciences, designed by Santiago Calatrava and Félix Candela. Enjoy private wine tastings and exclusive access to newly restored Baroque frescoes at Valencia’s Church of San Nicolás. Experience the region’s charm through a hands-on demonstration of ceramic production, a paella-making workshop, a river cruise to see the world’s oldest transporter bridge and a visit inside a barraca—a traditional farmer’s home.
Download the full trip brochure
- At the Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum, discover the most extensive collection of the Spanish fashion designer whom Christian Dior called “the master of us all.”
- Visit Valencia’s cultural gems, including the Bridge and Palace of the Exposition, Old Town and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Lanja de Seda (the Silk Exchange)
- Enjoy an enchanting rowboat ride through the canals of Lake Albufera
- Sample the world-renowned wines of the Rioja Valley while admiring the contemporary architectural designs of its wineries
Smith SpeakerJessica Nicoll '83, Director and Louise Ines Doyle '34 Chief Curator of the Smith College Museum of Art
- Duration: 9 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active; daily programs involve one to two miles of walking, including city streets and in historic neighborhoods where roads may be cobblestoned and uneven. Museum tours may require climbing up and down several flights of stairs (elevators are available in most buildings) and standing in one place for several minutes at a time.
- Cost: $4,995 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $795 per person (limited availability)
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to International Seminar Design Inc.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.