Discover the Heart of Italy through the culinary, artistic, and musical flavors of Emilia-Romagna and Lombardy. This “Uniquely Smith” tour uses the ancient town of Reggio Emilia as its home base, with daily excursions into the Po River Valley to explore the cuisine and cultural history of the region. Experience private cooking lessons in Reggio, exclusive access to churches and art collections of Cremona and Modena, and explore spaces otherwise closed to the public. You will be welcomed with open arms by the warmth of Italy and its inhabitants. Come hungry and leave gratified by great food, fantastic wine, and even better company!
Download the full trip brochure
- Stay at the charming, four-star Hotel Posta in Reggio Emilia, a converted 14th-century noble palace that is a landmark in itself
- Enjoy an early morning visit to a Parmesan cheese dairy and dinner with the owners of a balsamic vinegar distillery
- Experience a special, private opening of the workshop of a master violinmaker in Bologna
- See the world’s oldest university in Bologna, the theater where Mozart performed as a teenager in Mantua, and the fascinating three-kilometer maze hidden in the outskirts of Parma
- Explore the culinary and agricultural specialties of the Heart of Italy through discussions with local farm owners and vintners
Smith Faculty SpeakerAnna Botta, professor of Italian Studies and of Comparative Literature
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 9 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active. All participants should be in good health. Daily programs could involve 2-3 miles of walking, including city streets and historic neighborhoods where footpaths may be cobblestoned and uneven.
- Cost: $4,995 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $795 per person (limited availability)
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to International Seminar Design, Inc.
- Co-Sponsors: This is a Smith-only departure.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.