Truly a grand tour of the Continent, this journey blends river and rail travel, lakeside and mountain scenery, and contemporary cities, medieval castles and cathedrals. Wind through the Netherlands, Germany, France and Switzerland as you visit five UNESCO World Heritage sites: the canals of Amsterdam; the 13th-century Cologne Cathedral; the medieval town center of Strasbourg; the Old City of Berne and the romantic Rhine River Valley. Spend five nights cruising the Rhine aboard the five-star Amadeus river ship, viewing castles, towns and vineyards as you learn about European history and art. Three legendary railways crown the itinerary: the Gornergrat Bahn,with breathtaking views of the Matterhorn; the scenic Glacier Express, running from Lucerne to the alpine town of Zermatt; and the Pilatus Kulm, which boasts the world’s steepest cable-car track. Top off the journey with a cruise along picturesque Lake Lucerne.
Download the full trip brochure
- Take in stunning hilltop views along a guided tour of the Heidelberg Castle
- Savor delicious wines at a private tasting in the medieval German town of Rüdesheim
- Enjoy elegant, charming lodging at the 19th-century Mont Cervin Palace in Zermatt, an unspoiled sanctuary in the shadow of the mighty Matterhorn
- Experience two nights in the lovely Swiss Alps town of Lucerne
Smith Faculty SpeakerDonna Lisker, dean of the college and vice president for campus life
- Duration: 13 days
- Activity Level: Moderate
- Cost: From $4,595 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $2,600 per person, limited availability
- Deposit: $600 per person, payable to Thomas P. Gohagan & Company
- Optional Extensions: A two-night, pre-tour option to Amsterdam, with excursions to the port towns of Edam and Hoorn, is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.