Experience the charm and magic of one of the world’s most enigmatic countries—Bhutan. The Land of the Thunder Dragon is no ordinary place. A country of surprises, it has the only capital city where there are no traffic lights, where the rice is red and chilies aren’t just a seasoning but the entire dish. It’s also a deeply Buddhist land, where men wear a tunic to work and gross national happiness is deemed more important than gross national product. Bhutan straddles ancient and modern worlds: you’ll find monks transcribing Buddhist texts onto computers and traditionally dressed noblemen chatting on their mobile phones. By visiting this remote, unique country, you’ll play a part in this medieval kingdom’s efforts to join the modern world while steadfastly maintaining its distinct and amazing cultural identity. Experience this rare opportunity to glimpse another way of looking at life.
Download the full trip brochure
- Explore Thimphu, Bhutan’s colorful capital, with "chortens" (monuments), museums and fascinating culture.
- Delve into Bhutan’s social, environmental, economical and political climate from the unique perspectives of Bhutanese women.
- Experience the breathtaking Punakha valley and tour the beautiful Punakha Dzong, home to the region’s monastic and administrative body.
- Journey to Paro to visit its national museum, as well as to Taktsang, one of the most venerated pilgrimage sites of the Himalayan world.
Smith Faculty SpeakerConstance Kassor, lecturer in the Religion Department at Smith College and director of the Five College Tibetan Studies in India Program
- Duration: 10 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: From $6,280 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $980 per person
- Deposit: $750 per person, payable to Authentic Asia Tours & Travel
- Optional Extensions: Since your gateway city in Asia is Bangkok, we would be happy to arrange for a private trip extension in Southeast Asia, including Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.