Sunday, November 18, 2018
4280 Tennyson St, Denver, CO 80212
Our book selection for November is My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg, with contributors Mary Hartnett and Wendy W. Williams.
About My Own Words
The first book from Ruth Bader Ginsburg since becoming a Supreme Court Justice in 1993—a witty, engaging, serious, and playful collection of writings and speeches from the woman who has had a powerful and enduring influence on law, women’s rights, and popular culture.
My Own Words offers Justice Ginsburg on wide-ranging topics, including gender equality, the workways of the Supreme Court, being Jewish, law and lawyers in opera, and the value of looking beyond US shores when interpreting the US Constitution. Throughout her life Justice Ginsburg has been (and continues to be) a prolific writer and public speaker. This book’s sampling is selected by Justice Ginsburg and her authorized biographers Mary Hartnett and Wendy W. Williams. Justice Ginsburg has written an introduction to the book, and Hartnett and Williams introduce each chapter, giving biographical context and quotes gleaned from hundreds of interviews they have conducted. This is a fascinating glimpse into the life of one of America’s most influential women.
The Smith Club Book Club meets on the fourth Sunday of the month (with some exceptions) at 2:00 pm on a bi-monthly schedule. Meetings are held at the BookBar in North Denver’s Tennyson District. The Book Club focuses on books (fiction and non-fiction) written by or about Smith women.
2018 Smith Club Book Club Dates and Book Selections
- January 28: Book selection is Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
- March 25: Book selection is The Velveteen Daughter by Laurel Davis Huber ’73
- May 20: Book selection is Citizen Scientist: Searching for Heroes and Hope in an Age of Extinction by Mary Ellen Hannibal ’81
- July 22: Book selection is We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
- September 23: Book selection is The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway
- November 18: Book selection is My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg
2017 Smith Club Book Club Selections
- A Spoonful of Sugar by Amanda Orr ’90
- Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Loss of Foods We Love by Simran Sethi ’92
- My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem ’56
- Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries by Kory Stamper ’96
- Terrible Virtue by Ellen Feldman (Bryn Mawr College ’64, MA ’67).
- The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henríquez
2016 Smith Club Book Club Selections
- Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman ’92
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ’00
- Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family by Amy Ellis Nutt ’77
- The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara ’95
- Dreaming in French: The Paris Years of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Susan Sontag, and Angela Davis by Alice Kaplan