South Africa is one of the African continent’s most intriguing countries and a complex tapestry of interwoven threads: an animal kingdom of enormous diversity, the birthplace of mankind’s earliest ancestors, the meeting place of two great oceans, and the juxtaposition of transplanted European values and indigenous tribal norms. Discover the rich history of South Africa’s oldest city, Cape Town; marvel at the beauty of the Cape Peninsula; and explore the justly acclaimed Stellenbosch wine region. Then board the luxurious Rovos Rail for a two-day journey across South Africa’s sweeping landscapes, enjoying all the comforts of the golden age of train travel: unsurpassed service, sumptuous furnishings, panoramic views of spectacular landscapes, and fine dining. Visit Kimberley, site of the first diamond discoveries in South Africa; Pretoria, South Africa’s administrative capital; and Johannesburg, where the struggles of apartheid played out so dramatically. End your adventure at Kapama Private Game Reserve for a magnificent safari experience. You may also extend your trip, if you wish, and fly to Zimbabwe to see the thundering wonder of Victoria Falls.
Download the full trip brochure
- Experience the beauty of the Cape Peninsula and the drama of Cape Point at the southern tip of Africa.
- Visit the Stellenbosch wine region and sample some of South Africa’s renowned wines.
- Ride the luxurious Rovos Rail through the sweeping landscapes of South Africa, stopping at Kimberley, the birthplace of the country’s diamond industry.
- Enjoy fascinating lecture presentations by Robert Schrire, an acclaimed political analyst and educator in his native South Africa.
- Fly to the private Kapama Private Game Reserve and thrill at close-up views of the “Big Five” (lion, elephant, Cape buffalo, leopard, and rhino).
Smith SpeakerRobert Schrire, emeritus professor and senior scholar of Political Science at the University of Cape Town
- Duration: 12 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: From $9,950 per person based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $2,990 per person
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to Criterion Travel
- Co-Sponsors: Princeton Journeys
- Optional Extensions: A three-night post-tour extension to Victoria Falls is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.