Beautifully rugged, Sicily is one of Europe’s most captivating destinations, home to some of modern civilization’s most treasured archaeological sites and cultural contributions. A must-see landmark is the Valley of the Temples, encompassing the ruined ancient city of Akragas. Tour Greek and Roman theaters, the Roman mosaics at the Villa Romana at Casale, and the churches of La Martorana and San Cataldo. Enjoy enchanting walking and guided tours throughout the itinerary, enhanced by talks on writers and artists, culinary presentations and exclusive adventures, such as a stop at the Antica Dolceria Bonaiuto chocolate laboratory and lunch at the house of the late Nobel Prize-winning writer Luigi Pirandello. Stops along the way include Syracuse, Lentini, Noto, Agrigento, Palermo, Monreale, Catania and Taormina.
Download the full trip brochure
- Visit the Church of St. Lucy to view a Caravaggio painting
- Lunch privately at Case del Biviere and visit the gardens (by arrangement with Principessa Maria Carla Borghese)
- Visit the museum in Aidone and view the statue of the Dea of Morgantina
- Stop at the wine estate of Regaleali
Smith Faculty SpeakerGiovanna Bellesia, professor of Italian studies
View Smith Faculty Speaker Profile
- Duration: 12 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active; This trip involves considerable walking on varying uneven terrains. Travelers should be in good physical condition to enjoy the tour to its fullest.
- Cost: $6,750 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $950 per person (limited availability)
- Deposit: $750 per person, payable to Smith College
- Co-Sponsors: This is a Smith-only departure
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.