June 2019 marks the 75th anniversary of D-Day landings by Allied Forces as part of World War II’s Operation Overlord. On this specially timed program, arrive in France for D-Day, June 6, and visit Omaha Beach or Caen to observe the anniversary before boarding AmaLyra for a seven-night cruise along the Seine River. Enjoy lectures from accompanying scholar and fellow alumna, Dr. Kathryn Calley Galitz ’86, an art historian and educator at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Along the way, trace the rich cultural history of France with visits to Jumièges Abbey, the new Joan of Arc Historial in Rouen, and Claude Monet’s home in Giverny. In Compiègne, see where the French signed a truce with the Germans in 1940 or walk in the footsteps of America’s Founding Fathers at the Château de Chantilly. Our journey concludes with an afternoon in magical Paris.
Download the full trip brochure
- Commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day with visits to landing beaches or the Caen Memorial Museum
- Stroll in Monet’s lush and lovely gardens at Giverny and trace van Gogh’s history in Auvers-sur-Oise
- Meet a U.S. diplomat for a discussion on Franco-American relations, past and present
- Visit a private Arts and Crafts-style home on the northern coast of France, overlooking the Atlantic
- See the World War I and II sites in Compiègne, or follow in the footsteps of America’s Founding Fathers at the Château de Chantilly
SpeakersDr. Kathryn Calley Galitz ’86, art historian and educator, The Metropolitan Museum of Art
View Speakers Profiles
- Duration: 8 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active.
- Cost: From $6,999 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $1,400 per person
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to Arrangements Abroad
- Co-Sponsors: The Met, National Trust for Historic Preservation, The Royal Oak Foundation, Alumni Associations of Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Brooklyn College.
- Optional Extensions: An optional four-day pre-tour extension to Normandy is available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.