Travel off the beaten path to East India, a location selected by National Geographic Traveler as one of the “50 Trips of a Lifetime.” Immerse yourself in the cacophony of the city of Kolkata, the former seat of the British Raj and home to two Nobel laureates—Mother Teresa and Rabinranath Tagore. Venture to Darjeeling and Sikkim to experience the wide expanse of space, the endless green of tea estates, and the towering mountain ranges of the Himalayas and Kanchanjunga. Tranquil monasteries provide a stark contrast to the controlled chaos that typifies urban India. The renowned temples of Orissa offer a view into Hindu mythology and architecture that make the region justly famous. Leading your tour and providing their expertise and insight on your travels in East India will be Nalini Bhushan, Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities and Professor of Philosophy, and Richard Millington, Helen and Laura Shedd Professor of English Language and Literature.
Download the full trip brochure
- Discover Kolkata, one of India’s largest cities, known for its grand colonial architecture and art galleries
- Explore the world-famous temple architecture of Odisha and learn about the mythology of the Ramayana and Mahabharata
- Witness the sunrises of the Himalayan mountain range as you savor famous Darjeeling tea, and travel to Kumartulli, a town known for its pottery and Bengali idol art
Smith SpeakerNalini Bhushan, Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities and Professor of Philosophy, and Richard Millington, Helen and Laura Shedd Professor of English Language and Literature
- Duration: 15 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active. This program involves some walking on uneven terrain or up and down stairs that may be steep and/or without handrails. Altitudes will be as high as 7,000 feet above sea level in some areas. See brochure for complete details.
- Cost: $6,995 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $2,125 per person
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to Immersion Journeys
- On-tour Air: Roundtrip airfare is included from Boston, New York or Washington, D.C.; prices for other departures are available
- Co-Sponsors: This is a Smith-only departure
- Optional Extensions: An optional five-day post-tour extension to Tamil Nadu, four-day post-tour extension to The Backwaters of Kerala, or five-day extension to Royal Rajasthan is available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.