Become immersed in the local life and culture of this fascinating land of delicate art and bustling commerce, of rich traditions and dizzying modernity. Take in a jumble of sights, sounds and tastes on this small group tour that takes you off the beaten path. Begin the journey in Tokyo touring the Shinto Meiji Shrine and historic Imperial Palace. View the imposing Mount Fuji at the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park, then spend the night in Suwa at a ryokan, a traditional Japanese inn. Explore Takayama’s ancient streets and houses. In culturally rich Kanazawa, tour the famed Kenroku-en Garden and visit the Nomi Kutani Ceramics Museum. Conclude your journey in Kyoto, Japan’s cultural capital, touring the city’s highlights, attending a traditional Japanese tea ceremony and cycling through the grounds of the Imperial Palace and the Gion district. Discover Hiroshima, the city reborn from the atomic destruction of World War II, on an optional post-tour extension. Sightseeing in Hiroshima includes Itsukushima Shrine, a tour on the local Hiroden electric train, and visits to the Peace Memorial Museum and Japan Maritime Service School.
Download the full trip brochure
- Visit the gallery of preeminent calligrapher Koshun Masunaga and tour Ginza, Tokyo’s famed shopping, dining and entertainment district
- Take a coach ride for breathtaking panoramic views of Mount Fuji
- Explore Takayama's San-machi Suji district, with its authentically preserved small inns, teahouses and sake breweries
- Tour the UNESCO World Heritage site of Shirakawa-go and visit the Miboro Dam, the largest dam constructed using rock-fill technology
- Spend a full day touring such highlights as the lakeside Temple of the Golden Pavilion and Nijo Castle
Smith Faculty SpeakerJamie Hubbard, Yehan Numata Professor of Buddhist Studies and Jill Ker Conway Professor of Religion and East Asian Studies, and Maki Hirano Hubbard, professor of East Asian languages and literature
- Duration: 13 days
- Activity Level: Moderate
- Cost: From $5,686 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $995 per person
- Deposit: $500 per person, payable to Odysseys Unlimited, Inc.
- On-tour Air: Roundtrip airfare is included from Los Angeles or San Francisco
- Optional Extensions: A post-tour extension to Hiroshima is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.