Explore the remote, spectacular Kimberley region of northwest Australia and the string of idyllic Spice Islands of Indonesia in one exciting expedition. In Australia, discover dramatic wilderness landscapes etched with ancient human history, then venture to the islands of Indonesia to be invited into remote villages where history comes alive in traditional ceremonies. Search for spectacular wildlife, from giant saltwater crocodiles to prehistoric Komodo dragons. See humpback whales, giant manta rays and untouched coral gardens. Board a small plane to fly over the Bungle Bungle Range, with its strange, beehive-shaped towers, estimated to be 350 million years old and so remote they remained undiscovered until 1983. View paintings on cave ceilings that have been dated to days before the pyramids were built. Learn about the ancient culture of Sumba that predates the prominent Hindu and Christian influences in the area, and gain insights into the troubling history of colonialism and Dutch trade that dominated the Spice Islands in the 16th century, an area that is culturally and spiritually important to all Australians.
Download the full trip brochure
- Zodiac up the King George River to explore it at water level and experience its towering red rock canyon walls
- See Aboriginal art etched into the red rocks of the Kimberley by the Wunambal peopls
- Learn about the history of the Spice Islands, fought over by the English, Portuguese and Dutch colonizers
- Snorkel or scuba dive to get up close to vibrant coral reefs
Smith Faculty SpeakerTo be determined
- Duration: 18 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: From $12,640 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: From $6,310 per person
- Deposit: $1,000 per person, payable to Lindblad Maritime Enterprises Ltd.
- Optional Extensions: A three-day post-tour extension to Bali is available
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.