Cruise with fellow alumnae for seven nights from Rome to Barcelona aboard the exclusively chartered, Five-Star, small ship M.S. Le Lyrial. Enjoy the sun-drenched landscapes and lush, mountainous backdrops of the French and Italian Rivieras and islands, a glamorous retreat for artists, writers, nobility and gourmands. This unique, comprehensive itinerary immerses you in the region’s dynamic history, inimitable art and culture and stunning scenery, and features up to five UNESCO World Heritage sites, including Carcassonne’s medieval fortifications and the picture-perfect cliffside villages of Riomaggiore and Vernazza in Italy’s Cinque Terre. Explore Corsica’s fortified town of Bonifacio. Along the enchanting Côte d’Azur, enjoy a specially arranged excursion in alluring Monte Carlo, Monaco, the epitome of Riviera chic and home of St. Nicholas Cathedral, where Princess Grace is interred; and walk along the vibrant Vieux Port in historic Marseille.
Download the full trip brochure
- Cruise the Tyrrhenian, Ligurian and Mediterranean Seas
- Choose between a full-day excursion to Florence, a UNESCO World Heritage site, featuring the octagonal Baptistery and a visit to the Accademia, or a full day excursion to the Tuscan cities of Pisa, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and Lucca
- Spend an evening at leisure in the picturesque Italian Riviera village of Portofino
- Take a walking tour of Aix-en-Provence, featuring the Mazarin District, Old Aix, the Old Town Hall, the famous Cours Mirabeau and St. Sauveur Cathedral
- Tour the monumental Basilica of Saints Nazarius and Celsus, and the impressive Musée des Beaux Arts in Carcassonne
- Enjoy a visit to the Romanesque 12th-century Abbaye de Fontfroide in the Corbières Mountains
SpeakersVarious guest lecturers
- Duration: 8 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active; Many of the cities and towns being visited were founded centuries ago, and the terrain is rugged. Therefore, a fair amount of walking along narrow cobblestone streets, stone floors or uneven and/or slippery terrain and climbing several flights of stairs (some without railings) is to be expected. Walking excursions often cover distances of at least one mile/1.6 km and are approximately three hours in length.
- Cost: From $4,795 per person, based on double occupancy. Reserve by May 25, 2018 to receive an early booking discount of $1,000 per person.
- Single Supplement: From $5,000 per person. Limited availability.
- Deposit: $800 per person, payable to Thomas P. Gohagan & Company.
- Co-Sponsors: Harvard, National Trust for Historic Preservation, and Smithsonian.
- Optional Extensions: A pre-tour extension to Rome and a post-tour extension to Barcelona are available.
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.