From hip to historical, spanning city, countryside and seacoast, this journey offers a kaleidoscopic range of experiences and tastes. Your trip will commence in Madrid, where you’ll take in the Royal Palace; the majestic, 17th-century Plaza Mayor, and the Prado Museum, famed for masterworks by Titian, Rubens, Goya and Velazquez, whose masterpiece, Las Meninas, has been called one of the world’s greatest works of art. For a contemporary contrast, visit Frank Gehry’s spectacular Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, and enjoy the elegance of nearby San Sebastian, on Spain’s north coast. Sip some of Spain’s finest wines in the Rioja region, and visit Pamplona—famed for the running of the bulls—and historic Toledo, once capital of the Visigothic Kingdom, now a UNESCO World Heritage city.
Download the full trip brochure
- Velazquez’ masterpiece, “Las Meninas,” considered by New Yorker art critic Peter Schjeldahl as one of the world’s two best paintings (the other is Rembrandt’s “Night Watch”)
- Architecture of Antonio Gaudi, in Barcelona
- Burgos’ 13th century Gothic cathedral—Spain’s only UNESCO-designated World Heritage cathedral
Smith Faculty SpeakerTo be determined
- Duration: 13 days
- Activity Level: Moderately active
- Cost: $4,295 per person, based on double occupancy
- Single Supplement: $1,395 per person
- Deposit: $600 per person, payable to Alumni Holidays International
Contact us for more information, or call Smith Travel at 800-225-2029.
Please read our terms and conditions and other important information.